I can’t take credit for this article ‘Legos For Seniors’ as it was suggested to me in a comment on my Facebook Good Gifts For Senior Citizen page. So, thank you Irene H. I not only appreciated your comment, but I learned so much when researching Legos – and I had some fun shopping – my Legos will be here Monday….
So, once Irene suggested Legos as a good gift for senior citizens, I sat and thought about it. She was 100% right! Particularly if you have a senior friend who is bed bound or has a mental diagnosis, such as Alzheimer’s or Dementia, Legos can be a great way to spend quality time with them doing an easy creative project.
A gift of a Lego set would be a wonderful gift for a retirement home or rehab facility. Anywhere people can sit around a table making (and destroying) structures is bound to be a good time.
LEGO Birds Model Kit
Benefits Of Legos Building Bricks For Senior Citizens
I can see a lot of benefits of presenting a set of Legos to an elderly loved one.
- Legos are a great tool to work with cognitive functions such as identifying colors, shapes, sizes, items, etc. Even those with Alzheimer’s or Dementia may be able to remember these types of things from their youth.
- Legos invite creativity into you senior citizen friend’s life. With endless building options, your senior friend can create their own town, build fences, or buildings. The ideas are endless. I particularly love that Lego Birds Model Kit there to the left. My Mom would have loved the hummingbird.
- Legos exercises motor skills. Remember though, if your senior friend has arthritic hands like my Mom did, you’ll want to buy either the medium or large size bricks. More about this below.
- Sitting around a table working a set of Legos invites the social side of your elderly loved one to come out and play – literally!
- A Lego session can promote family bonding. What better way to have some family fun than to open a new set of Legos for your Grandma, Grandpa, son, or daughter? Get as many generations around the table as you can. And, make sure to grab your camera for future generations.
Types of Legos – Stick With Me Here….
As I was researching the article, I found that Legos come in various sizes, and, the sizes were confusing as heck to me. Here’s the best way I can describe them:
- Traditional Lego bricks, marketed by Lego – these are the ones most of us are familiar with; I still remember how much those suckers hurt when I stepped on one….
- Duplo blocks, marketed by Lego – these building bricks are twice the length, height, and width of the traditional Lego bricks. They are still compatible with the traditional Legos.
- Mega Bloks, marketed by Mattel. Mega Bloks comes in both maxi (pieces over 2″) and mini size (pieces 1-2″)
Due to fine motor skills degrading as we age, I think I would prefer the Mega Blocs Maxi Lego Set for an elderly loved one. This building block set is marketed for very young children (ie, 1 year olds) so the pieces are very large and easily handled (some pieces are 2″x2″, some are 2″x4″).
But, if it’s an involved project you want, you pretty much are restricted to Lego building sets which are meant for children over 5. The pieces are smaller but there are some amazing projects your senior citizen friend would love such as recreating a carnival or building the London Bridge.
Note: Since some of these Lego sets are typically bought for younger children, I suggest you buy a small duffle in which to store them. I don’t think my Mom would have liked the packaging clearly targeting young children and not senior citizens (note: seniors love the things!).
Lego Building Sets For Adults
LEGO Creator Expert 10244 Fairground MixerLego Architecture Washington, D.C. Collection: The White House 21006 and Lincoln Memorial 21022LEGO Architecture Europe Bundle: Tower of Pisa 21015 and Eiffel Tower 21019LEGO Star Wars 75095 Tie Fighter Building KitLEGO Agents Mobile Command CenterLEGO Creator Expert Sets Bundle: London Tower Bridge 10214 and Sydney Opera House 10234LEGO Creator Mini Cooper CarLEGO Creator Mini Figure Set #7803 Red Jeep BaggedLEGO Creator Expert Expert Tower Bridge Play Set Iconic- Paired Towers And A Drawbridge That Really Opens And ClosesLEGO Super Heroes BatmanTM: Gotham City Cycle Chase 76053LEGO Bricks & More 10662 Creative BucketLEGO Classic Large Creative Brick Box 10698LEGO Creator Log Cabin 5766LEGO Creator 31048 Lakeside Lodge, Includes A Male Minifigure Plus A Buildable Moose And A Frog
Mega Bloks Maxi Lego Sets
Duplo Building Bricks
LEGO Education DUPLO Brick Set 4496357 (144 Pieces)500 piece DELUXE Basic set of Duplo compatible Building bricks Including Building plates 8 Figures Cars Windows & Gates (view all Photos)LEGO DUPLO 10572 Creative Play All-in-One-Box-of-FunLEGO DUPLO Town School Bus 10528 Building Toy